I complain too much, which is why I haven’t posted in a while. Don’t get me wrong, there are still plenty of assholes in the world who go around doing stupid shit. But dammit, I gotta stop focusing on that so much. With that in mind, here is a list of shit I am grateful for:
1. H. Fucking duh. H is a rock that lets me be a crazy-pants nut-job and still not have to live in a cardboard box. He’s kind, considerate, honest, and would run into a burning building to get me if I needed him to. He is also what makes it possible for me to be a pro writer.
2. Being a pro writer. It’s my dream. Since I was five, I wanted to be the person who writes the stuff that goes in books. And I am. I’m not making as big a splash as I want to. I need to write for sites that are more visible, and I will. For now though, making money through writing is awesome.
3. The Mag. Yeah, I’m still pretty new at the mag stuff, and there’s a lot that I’m not very good at yet. It’s still tremendous fun and I’m learning a ton about writing, editing, and how horror is built.
4. Fam. I got back in contact with some of my fam a few years ago–including my good brother. The other brother, not so much. My fam is pretty awesome. Having a fam is different from friendships. You didn’t actually choose these people, so you’re connected to them even if they are religious whackadoos (we don’t really have these), GOP supporters, or are suspicious of Mexicans. I’m pretty lucky in that my extended fam is a loving, diverse, and fascinating bunch.
5. My real-life friends. By this I mean people who I see on a fairly regular basis. They are a witty, whip-smart, and wonderful bunch.
6. My on-line friends. I have a lot of these, including a small handful of people I feel genuinely close to, and would invite into my home if they were nearby. I am grateful that the internets let me connect with so many people that I can have amazing conversations with, and share in all their life stuff.
7. The cats. I love that I get to have cats around, and have some good ones these days.Tags: employ, scribing, sociality, thinky